Our park has been a hive of activity in 2020 prior to lockdown with our Park Project development. This will provide an ECO park, Spectator facility and floodlit community walkway. The project has been run by our club development committee with the support of Sligo Leader, sports capital, clann credo, Sligo county council, caravan park and our park trustees.
Local firm Arken were successful with the contract. You will see have seen their team working regularly at the park prior to lockdown.
To date progress includes:
- new extensive sewage and waste water system installed which was vital to keep park open
- new solar power system in place on clubhouse to meet our energy needs
- new energy friendly training lights system installed
- new fence on caravan park road in place
- Footpath which is part of community walkway installed with lighting on caravan park road with support of Sligo Co Co
- community walkway installed and operational
- spectator facility completed
- refurbishment of senior playground with edging and new wood chipping.
- new dugout bases in place and dugouts relocated with fencing repaired
- new solar powered scoreboard in place
- new area for pitch cuttings to be stored in a cleaner manner and where they can be easily taken on a regular basis
- new rainwater harvesting system installed
- new pitch sprinkler system operating from rainwater harvesting installed
- Refurbishment of astropark to address safety issues.
- cycling stands for storing bicycles ordered
- new recycling bins ordered for installation post lockdown
- New advertising signs up on the standside with more to come
Unfortunately due to COVID our contractor, Arken Construction, have been unable to finish off a few final steps before the project concludes.We hope that this can conclude in march if construction is allowed to recommence. When allowed we will have an open day and official opening in recognition of all the work undertaken by our development committee which will undoubtedly be some time away yet.
In addition to the main project we took the opportunity to upgrade the senior playground with new wood chippings, timber surrounds, repair of the surrounding grass area and other remedial works. This cost in the region of €4,000 and was not eligible for any funding support and had to be met directly by the club. We also had to refurbish the astropark to address safety issues which cost €10,000.
Remember we have taken out significant loans to improve the park so we would urge you to support our 50/50 draw for less than the price of a coffee per week!.
With the additional works and the impact of COVID on our bank payments and bridging finance we have taken a substantial additional financial cost.
To illustrate some simple costs the wood chippings for one are of playground are €750 for which no grants are available. A new wire for the zip wire will cost circa €1500 again not grant aided. This is outside the cost of major parts of our project for which we have a loan of €55,000. We really need all our park users to get behind us and support us where possible in these difficult times.
We have secured 100 members to whom we are very grateful. We need 200 members to sustain our park and our debts and maintenance of our facilities. You can join on-line or our 50/50 draw committee will be in touch regarding the draw.
You can join the 50/50 community draw here ...
PLEASE SUPPORT ITS YOUR PARK 👍